Last week I sat down and wrote an article where I compared the different mobile platforms we have today, and also tried to guess where things are headed. I looked at which developer tools are available on the different platforms, and what market share the platforms themselves have in device sales. I originally just wrote it for a presentation we had at a company visit, but I uploaded it to Slideshare by chance. Within a few hours it got featured on their front page and this resulted into roughly a thousand views and lots of tweets. Check out the article below.
Here are my conclusions in brief:
- There is no solution for writing cross platform mobile applications at the moment
- Android is growing like crazy
- Qt is the best solution for apps on Nokia phones
- Qt on Android needs to happen
- Nokia will bounce back with N8 and later MeeGo
- App downloads will increase dramatically